martedì 16 settembre 2014

MotoGP: 'Eternal' Rossi hailed after San Marino triumph

Nine-time world champ still capable of winning

(ANSA) - Rome, September 15 - Valentino Rossi was hailed in his Italian homeland on Monday for proving he is still capable of winning over 18 years after he first reached the top of a grand prix podium. The nine-time world champion's victory at Sunday's San Marino Grand Prix was his first since his victory over a year ago at Assen.

It was also a resounding response to those who said he was past it after two winless seasons at Ducati in 2011 and 2012 and last year's unspectacular return to Yamaha, with whom he had won five of his premium class world titles. "Eternal Vale," read the front page of Monday's La Gazzetta dello Sport. Giovanni Malagò, the president of the Italian Olympic Committee (CONI), also paid tribute to the 35-year-old rider on Monday. "I makes me laugh that only a few months ago some people said that this lad had ended his career," Malagò said. "I say thank you to Valentino in the name of Italian sport because he is truly unique". Rossi is a resurgent force this season after changing his diet and fitness regime and bringing in Silvano Galbusera as his crew chief after ending his long relationship with Jeremy Burgess.

This has not enabled him to break the dominance of Spain's 21-year-old world champion Marc Marquez. But he is challenging for the runner-up slot as he is third in the standings, just one point behind Dani Pedrosa in second. 

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento